I asked him the week what his favorite parts of the day were and he said Science and the history project. He is definitely my hands-on learner. In Science he is still reading "Birds of the Air". This week on the day he was to do his oral narration for this book I had him take what he used to call "stop and jot" notes. He wrote just a few phrases down on sticky notes. The difference in his interacting with the text and his ability to narrate was huge. I know it is not true Charlotte Mason style, but whatever his learning glitch is that messes with his reading comprehension this sure helps, so I let him do it. It also seemed to help with his retention later in the day as he was telling me something about birds he had read. For his science experiment he was a small seed eating bird grabbing raisins off the ground. I timed him for 15 seconds to see how many he got and then his sister was a hawk and she circled him in her best hawk imitation and then tagged him to show she ate him and we compared how many seed he caught. This was a big hit. I did end up modifying it and just letting him use his fingers.
He finished reading "More Tales from Dust River Gulch" this week for DITHOR. He will work on a project for this book next week.
For his history reading he read about Cyrus and Darius the Great. He also read about Daniel and the Lions Den which was of course a big hit.
In Storytime we continued reading Esther. Since that is one of my favorite books in the bible it has meant we have had some good discussions. For his history project he made a Grager and also Hamentashen. He loved when we read out of Esther and he shook his Grager every time he heard the word Hamen. We talked about the festival of Purim to go along with this.
Next week he starts a new main History book as well as a new storytime book. I love how just as winter is setting in and sometimes boredom can hit we get to start all new books.
No comments:
Post a Comment