Tuesday, January 11, 2011

3 of 52

I finished my 3rd book for the year.  "Without a Word: How a Boy's Unspoken Love Changed Everything" is by Jill Kelly, the wife of Hall of Fame football player Jim Kelly.  It is the story of their son Hunter and his life.  Hunter was diagnosed with Krabbe's Leukodystrophy shortly after birth.  It is a progressive, fatal disease.  I was very interested in reading this story because when I was a physical therapist I worked with a little girl with a different form of leukodystrophy.  The Kelly's had gone public with their son's diagnosis at the time I was treating this little girl and her mom was so encouraged by the fact that someone important was working on a cure.

This book is a very real look at what living with a chronically ill child is like, but she doesn't focus on the negatives.  She focuses on all the gifts they received from having Hunter in their lives.  The biggest was the through Hunter Jill became a Christian and eventually so did Jim.  It is a story of hope and redemption as much as it is a story of loss of a child.  Much of it is Jill's journal entries which allow the reader to truly see into her heart. This makes it a very real book that deals with real issues.  This book truly allows you to see how God worked things for good out of horrible circumstances.  

No comments:

Post a Comment