Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekly update for the week of 9/24/2012

     This was an interesting week full of highs and lows.  The highs were the things in the HOD guide.  This weeks history project included lots of cooking.  My ds has grown to really enjoy cooking and I know it is because of HOD.  This week he made English Tea Cakes. His independence once again came through when he said "Mom I've got this, I will let you know if I need your help."  Then he realized he needed an extra pair of hands and he said "well it is a semi-independent box, so it is ok for you to help."



He then made French Tea cakes, which I forgot to take a picture of the final product.  He decided he liked the English ones, better than the French.  In fact he plans on making the English ones again around Christmas time.

     In Geography he continues to do his mapping by using our shortcut method with the numbers.  He says the locations outloud as he numbers.
     He continues to really enjoy the state study, the composer study and our time together doing "Who is God."  We have some great discussion surrounding that book. 

     He finished reading Michael Faraday, in his Inventor study.  His last written narration of this book was his best by far.  He also did more experiences with his racer and learned to calculate things like horse power and work.

    Our low came in the area of Math.  I have sensed his frustration building for about a week with how fast Chalkdust math moves.  I think Dana Mosley is an excellent teacher, but he does talk fast and is wordy with his explanations and for some reason it just was too confusing for N.  He had a huge meltdown and after we talked it through he was able to verbalize some of the issues.  So we are back to square one with Math.  I have a Lial's Prealgebra book here.  He thinks it looks better.  I think it may still move to fast and I am not sure the mastery style of teaching is going to work for him.  I will try it this week and see how it goes.  I think if it doesn't work I will order Teaching Textbooks.  The new editions are supposed to be more complete as far as concepts covered so I am not as hesitant to use it as I have been in the past.  Just like teachers in a classroom, homeschool teachers have to be ready to make adjustments for their students if something is not working and so that is how I am looking at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment