Saturday, October 3, 2015

Week in review for the week of 9/28-10/2/2015

I only took 2 pictures this week so this will be a short week in review.  N. finished week 7 this week and he had a few days that ran pretty long due to the additon of the You Are There listening assignments.

A typical day has consisted of around 6-6 1/2 hours of work up until this week.  Day 1 of this week he worked for 7 1/2 hours and day 2 was around 7 hours of work which doesn't include his lunch break.  He was pretty exhausted.  He had a "You Are There" listening assignment every day this week and they seem to add time to the day.  These can be challenging.  I had been told that some of them are hard to hear.  We dealt with that by plugging in a USB speaker to the lap top.  This has worked very well.  Due to his dysgraphia he is unable to take notes in his notebook while listening so he takes them on a piece of paper and then I later scribe them into his notebook while he is formulating and typing his opinion paragraph.  This system has worked well.  He is still struggling some with doing a more detailed and in depth opinion paragraph.  The first one he did this week was a difficult one to figure out what he was supposed to form an opinion on, but the other 3 were easier to figure out.  
He and I are doing the Living Library and we finished Cyrus the Persian which was fantastic and gave me a much deeper understanding of this time period.  We then started reading "A Sparrow Alone".  We have been splitting the readings.  I read about half out loud and then he reads the rest on his own and gives the book back to me so I can read the rest to myself.  I have to admit with this book it has been hard for me not to read ahead. The living library is optional, but honestly I just can't imagine skipping it.  It brings so much depth to the study and makes it much more memorable.  I will admit that I have been having him only do the literary synthesis sheet on every other book and since this week the days were going so long we have been discussing the information orally instead of filling it out. 

In lit he is entrenched in Julius Caesar.  We watched most of the film that stars Marlon Brando.  That seems to have helped his comprehension and enjoyment of the book.  He continues with his lit journal assignments.
He also watched his first true dissecting videos for Biology this week.  I am impressed with how clearly you can really see what is being dissected.  This makes the videos very worthwhile.  Even though he could never do a real life dissection, he handled the virtual ones very well.  I have done many dissections in my time and I feel the video ones are just as beneficial as the in person ones. 

That is our week in a nutshell.  He continues to enjoy this guide and I feel he is learning beneficial skills that will certainly help him in future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment