We did 3 days of school this week and now we have now finished week 4 of the WH guide. It is really hard to believe that we have been doing school for a month now. I didn't take many pictures this week so this will be short and sweet.
In Art History he studied about Botticelli and did his first writing assignment in his art notebook. I thought he did a pretty good job, but as with anything at the beginning of the year there is always room for improvement. I will push him to think deeper and expand on the topic a little more. At this point I am labeling the paintings for him. He just can't write that small.
In history he had his first You Are There listening assignment. I have to admit that I was worried about this assignment. I wasn't sure how he was going to listen and take notes that were neat enough to go in the boxes in the notebook. We talked about it and decided that at this point he would take notes about each person on notebook paper as he listened and then I would transfer those notes over to his notebook for him. That seemed to work out pretty well. I was also worried that he wouldn't be able to hear it very well, since I had been warned about that, but we used an extra speaker on the laptop and that seemed to help.
He also had some critical thinking boxes for Short Lessons in World History. I probably made a mistake with this in telling him there isn't an answer key for these questions because now he thinks he can write anything and it is right. I told him it has to make sense. I don't think he gave these quite as much thought as he could and next time he does this assignment I will push him a little harder.
We finished reading The Cat of Bubastes and now are almost done with The Hero Schliemann. This has been a nice light-hearted read we do at the end of busy days. His days are still averaging around 6 1/2 hours, less on day 4 where he doesn't have the art projects. He is finishing up his online drivers ed on those days.
The final thing we did this week was to attend a performance of The Secret Garden at our professional theater company here in town. He loved it and was able to discuss different elements of the staging with me based on what he has learned in Musical Theater.


The thing I've decided to focus on with my DD and the Short Lessons assignments are that she is able to support her opinions and thoughts with evidence. Since they aren't necessarily right and wrong answers, I figured there had to be some goal with the assignments. I found a nice teaching help here that I used to help her see what I'm looking for. https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Interactive-Writers-Notebook-RAPS-Text-Evidence-Writing-in-All-Subjects-Free-982224
ReplyDelete