Monday, November 10, 2014

Week in Review Week of 11/3-11/7, 2014

This week we finished up week 12.  Things continue to go smoothly.  He finished reading "Treasure Island" this week.  He really enjoyed this book.  At times he struggled to comprehend it, but his dad who was listening to it in the car said that he also had trouble following the action at times.  That made me feel better.  I think sometimes my expectations are too high.  I expect him to understand everything he reads with no issues and with the higher level literature I have to remember that in a classroom he would have a teacher helping him to dig into the story and truly understand it. When he finished the book we compared the ending with the endings in the 2 different movie versions he had watched.  Here is his last written narration from this book.
He enjoys the readings and the activities in Mapping the World with Art.  This week we played a game where he was the pirates and I was Spain and Portugal trying to get to various destinations to trade spices.
He continues to learn about the different types of maps and the different tools used for navigation through the different time periods.  He drew a compass rose this week.  I made a mistake and gave him the wrong type of paper and when he went to label his directions everything smeared.  He was a good enough sport about it to do another one on the right paper this time. 
Here he is drawing his first attempt and then the finished second attempt in his notebook.

We finished up the paragraph section in EIW and are starting the essay portion of the program.  I really like how the lessons are program up into manageable parts.

In science he is doing very well with the workbooks.  He continues to do the labs with his Dad, then he has to come explain to me what he learned. 

He loves Teaching Textbooks Geometry and I see his strengths in visual spatial skills really coming through as he works the problems. 

In his time outside of school he has 2 volunteer activities that he loves.  He goes to the Animal Shelter with me and he does whatever they ask.  Lately that has included helping with the laundry.  Animal Shelter laundry has to be some of the grossest laundry around, but he does it with a good attitude.  He is also the official carrier of heavy things while there.  The other volunteer activity he does is works the sound booth at our church on Sunday nights.  He loves doing this and I plan on adding an electronics elective either this summer or next year to see if that is an area he would like to pursue further.  I am a firm believer in getting teens involved in volunteer activities.  I have seen him mature in many ways due to these 2 things. 



No comments:

Post a Comment