Sunday, October 5, 2014

Week in review 9/29-10/3, 2014

N. finished week 7 in the World Geography guide.  He seems to just be rolling along in most subjects.

He had 2 science projects this week which he did at night with my dh.  This one involved work and power and he looked at those with ramps of different heights.  I like how he has to work some calculations as he does these labs. My dh always has him come to me after he is done and he orally tells me his conclusion and answers any questions I might ask about his explanation.  This way we can see if he really understood the concepts.

Logic is going better now that he doesn't feel as much pressure to get them all right.  When we discuss them I can tell he understands why it's a fallacy, he just might not know exactly which fallacy it is.

He started TT Geometry this week and he loves it.  He is very strong in the area of visual spatial relationships so Geometry should fit him very well.  He has learned about Deductive and Inductive reasoning and is able to tell valid reasoning from invalid.  I think doing Logic at the same time as Geometry will work well for him.

He struggled with his written narration again this week.  So I just continue to work with him and teach him what I expect.  A World of Discovery is just really tough for him to do an oral narration or a written narration from.  I am hoping it gets better as he goes along in the book.  EIW though is going very well.  He wrote a nice persuasive paragraph this week.  

In World Geography and Cultures he drew Italy and The Holy Lands this week.
In World Religions he finished Mimosa and ended up really liking it.  He had questions to answer at the end and did a pretty good job.  Still working on getting longer answers out of him.  He is a guy of few words.  He did these on a template I made so that he could type the answers and then just glue them into the notebook.

This week we were talking about all the HOD guides and I asked him what was his favorite and he answered Preparing Hearts, as he always does, but he then said that this was a good guide also and that it made high school much better than he thought it was going to be.  I loved hearing him say that.  I think he had been dreading high school and had always wondered if he would enjoy it at all.  He knew it was going to be a lot of work and that there would be some subjects he would have to really work at.  I love that he feels like he can accomplish what is required of him.  When you have a dc that has some learning challenges you always fear that at some point they will just get too discouraged and quit trying.  I love that HOD makes it where he feels like he can do this thing called high school. 


No comments:

Post a Comment