Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week in review September 1-5, 2014

We only had a 3 day school week this week and I think N. found even more of his groove this week.  He has established his pretty set order of boxes that seems to work the best for him.  He is schooling from 8-3 on most days with an hour for lunch.  On Tuesdays he has his gymnastics/parkour/American Ninja Warrior class in the middle of the day, but even with taking about 1 1/2 hours out for that he is done at 4 or a little after, of course he starts earlier that day. 

We did the review for BJU lit this week and I was pleased with how much he remembered from what we had talked about as he went through the stories.  It just reinforced to me that right now I do need to teach Literature, but it won't always require as much input from me.  He started reading A Christmas Carol this week.  I wasn't sure how this would go, but we have a family tradition of watching The Muppets Christmas Carol every year.  I realized as I read the book that the Muppets version actually contains a good chunk of the actual wording from the book and this definitely helped him.  When he got done reading his first day he came in and said "I love this! and I didn't want to stop reading."  This is not something I usually hear from him. It convinced me that whenever possible my visual boy needs to see a movie before reading the book. 


He is enjoying the World Religion study and we have had some good conversations.  The notebooking challenges him, but it is a good challenge.  I do label some things for him.



We finished The Sign on the Door from the Living Library.  I was able to tie it into our EIW lessons because the book uses very complex sentences.  I told him that during the EIW lesson and he started laughing when the first sentence I read in the book was very complex. 

In dictation he is really plugging along and is half way through level 7.  He types his dictations using wordpad so there isn't spelling or grammar check. 
He is now getting past the newness of the guide and the challenge of the work and starting to enjoy some of the boxes.  I am so glad that even in high school he can find things he looks forward to in his day.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this to my daughter who is also doing this guide. It's motivating to hear what someone else is doing! Great job !

    ReplyDelete