In history he learned about WWI and this is the first war that he ever found interesting. We started reading War Horse for our story time and he can't wait to see what happens the next day. Of course he also likes the fact that I keep ending up choked up by the time we finish our reading for the day.
One of his biggest challenges this year has been doing the oral narration when I am supposed to type it. I first tried letting him record it into his ipod and that was a disaster. It was as if he had test anxiety. He stuttered and stammered and got frustrated and went back to his habit of not giving many details. So now I am typing while he narrates. His narrations are much slower and methodical and lack much personality, but they are improved from the way we were doing them. Right now he is looking back at the reading more than he should so I am encouraging him to look for names etc and then to look up and try and narrate. It is funny because when he orally narrates the other weeks where I am not typing it he doesn't look at the book near as much and his narrations are better.
His history project this week was a salt painting. Not sure it worked out exactly like it was supposed to, but he did get the paint to follow the salt line.
For Science he had the option of making a periodic table pillowcase from fabric paint or playing the periodic table game we had learned last week. There is no way either one of us would tackle that pillowcase so he played the game with his dad.
He is doing Teaching Textbooks Algebra and that is going well. I know some people think it is light, but we are using the 2.0 version which is more challenging and I find it is going at just the right pace for him. I do add in some additional story problems sometimes.




Looks fun! I love seeing what is going on for families in the later guides! We started Preparing this year and I have been anticipating it for a few years now and it is just so much fun! Now I'm having fun anticipating the guides to come!
ReplyDelete