Saturday, March 2, 2013

Update for the month of February

So I somehow managed to go all the way through February without posting a blog post.  In fact I have taken very few pictures.  Not sure how that happened.  I guess just because we are in a groove and I don't often remember to snap pics.

N. continues to enjoy the Rev to Rev. He has done more of the Draw and Write Through History drawings and those continue to be a hit.  I love this little Gold Prospector that he drew.
One of his history projects was to make a Carpenter's Wheel Quilt Square out of paper.  This had to be a project we did together.  We both traced and cut out the shapes.  Then I ended up gluing them down once he told me how they went.  He has very strong visual spatial skills and I do not, in fact mine are terrible.  He did a great job of telling me exactly how to position the pieces.  His tremor just wouldn't allow him to position the pieces.
He continues to enjoy the composer study.  I can't wait until he puts it together in a lapbook.  Here is one of the pieces he has done.
We are reading Florence Nightengale for storytime and I am learning as much as N. about the Crimean War and her role in getting the hospitals in shape.

Science has been a little frustrating this week.  He had several experiments that did not go well for one reason or another.  The scale continues to cause some struggles, but we talk about how that is real life and he knows it is after reading the Inventor Study books. His narrations for the inventor study have improved significantly.  He is still using his Ipod to take verbal notes, but then it is funny how little he listens back to it as he writes his narrations.  Now that his content has improved so much we have been able to focus more on using the editing checklist.  He is improving in his ability to self edit.
He finished "That Quail Robert" for DITHOR.  He says he enjoyed this book, but it wasn't his favorite.  My guess is that there wasn't enough action for him.  I see it as a great book to help him learn that literature doesn't always have lots of action and that you need to be able to glean things from books that are more descriptive. 

The other thing he has spent a  lot of time doing is making Lego Architecture sets.  The bricks in these are tiny and you would think it would frustrate him, but I think he enjoys them because he has read about so many of the buildings in HOD.  Here is a picture of his White House and The Brandenburg Gate.


It is hard to believe that we only have 2 1/2 months left of school.  I am already looking forward to N. doing MTMM next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment