Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Weekly update for the week of 11/12/2012

We actually just finished our Rev to Rev week yesterday.  We are now off for Thanksgiving, other than math.  N. is happy because when we start back up our days will line up again with Monday being Day 1.  He didn't think it would bother him having them not line up, but it did.

This week he continued to work with his electric circuit for Science.  He made it have a switch using a nail, wing nuts and a paper clip.  How cool is that?  I just continue to be so impressed with this science.

For his history project he made a French tri-color Rosette to go along with studying the French Revolution. Folding paper accordion style is not his favorite thing to do, but he did it and didn't want me to help.  Of course when I took the pictures he had to let his sense of humor show yet again.  The French Revolution meets a Kansas goofy lumberjack hat.


We started reading "Marie's Home", which is such a good way of showing the horrors of the French Revolution without focusing solely on the the gruesome things that were done.  As we read about Marie and her family in the Palace of Versailles when it was taken over, the author did such a good job of making you feel the panic and fear. I have read "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and "Tale of Two Cities" with S., and this book gives yet another viewpoint of the events.

Teaching Textbooks Math is going very well.  N. is enjoying math again and says they explain things in a new way that even brings a new understanding to things he already knew how to do.

I have said many times how thanks to HOD  N. now loves to cook and draw.  Those are 2 things that I am certain he would not have attempted much, if at all, if it weren't for how they are incorporated into HOD.  His real passion is helping the dogs at the shelter where we volunteer.  He loves all of them.  In his free time he has been drawing all the dogs that are currently up for adoption using the pictures that I have taken as his model.  He is then posting them up in our dining room/school room.  He says he will take the picture down when they get adopted.  I am hoping we have a big adoption weekend since I don't think there is much more room on our wall.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment