It seems like every week I discover new apps to try on the Ipad. Some of them we use a lot and some of them are fun for a short period of time and then don't get used anymore. Here are some of the more recent ones we have used.
1. Puzzleography- This is a fun quiz game for learning World geography. It teaches as well as quizzes. S. is learning all the countries of Africa so she has been using it to practice. It gives you either the name or the puzzle piece shape whichever you choose and then you figure out where it goes on the map. You can "cheat" by touching any country on the map and it will tell you the name of the country. I don't mind this though because she is still learning.
2. 7notes HD premium- I downloaded this app because it does handwriting to text. I wanted to see how that would work for N. So far it has been somewhat frustrating because it doesn't always recognize what he writes. He is a messy writer, but I think what throws it is that he doesn't write his letters in one fluid motion. I think I will have him write in cursive and see if that helps. There is a lot of potential if it would recognize his writing quickly.
3. Solids Elementary HD: N. is studying solids in Math and learning about faces, edges and vertices. This is a great way to give a clear illustration of these concepts. He really didn't need it for understanding, but he has had fun playing with it. I can see how for someone who has trouble visualizing things (like me) that it would be a great learning tool.
4. Tourwrist: Just downloaded this today and it is a hit. It has panoramic photos of various places and you move through the 360 degree scene by moving you Ipad in different directions. There is a different tour a day as well as many other tours that have been done by either individuals or the company. Today he toured Paris around the Eiffel Tower, the Coliseum, as well as Venice. These are often aerial photos and you can't zoom in, but wow it really gives you a feel for what the area looks like.
5. Wolfram Alpha- This is like one of those smart computers you used to see on Science Fiction shows in the 70's. You type in an equation or a question and it spits out the answer. S. needed to know the average high temp for Kenya. It spit it out in seconds and also gave the average high and low for today and other information. I can see a lot of use for this as both of them do research etc.
On one other note, the last one of these I did I talked about Notability and how N. was still figuring it out. He has now become very proficient at using it and it does make writing up his Science lab reports much easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment