Saturday, February 4, 2012

Update on S. and her year

I don't post much on S., because she isn't doing HOD, but I thought I would give an update.  She is really doing well this year.  She has seemed to enjoy all her classes.
Bible: She just finished up the 2 Old Testament Volumes of "The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study".  She enjoyed it and learned a lot.  I only had it do it as a survey of the Old Testament and not read the entire Old
Testament.  I wish now I had had her read the entire thing.  We are now filling in with other things.

Science: She is doing Apologia Physics and is doing very well.  Her dad does help her out as needed. So do the cats on occasion.


Algebra 2: She is using Lial's Intermediate Algebra and is understanding things pretty well with just a weekly meeting with dad to clarify anything. 

Child Development: She is about to finish up this class.  She has really enjoyed it and is already putting her knowledge to use as she interacts with different small children she comes in contact with.

French: She continues to work through Tell Me More French, but has also added some workbook work and also is working on increasing her vocabulary by making flash cards on the Ipad.  She also has translated 2 letters from Operation Christmas Child Children that live in Africa and speak French.  There is a little girl in our co-op that has received them and loves that Sarah translates them for her.

World Geography:  Her favorite class this year.  Done in a living book, Charlotte Mason style it is right up her alley.  Makes me wish I could have used Charlotte Mason with her for all of her schooling. Here are some of her projects/cooking




British Literature:  She is using Smarr British Literature.  I really like the Smarr course.  The books move at a nice pace and the essay's make her think.  I am reading all the books along with her.  The best so far has been "Scarlet Pimpernel". 
It is hard to believe she is a Junior.  She is now setting up college visits and studying for the ACT/SAT.  It is so hard to think about her going away to college in a year and a half.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, I would love to read more about her studies. My oldest will be in high school next year (yikes!).
    Some of my kiddos aren't using HOD but I add them all anyway. Too many good memories to not write about ;) Just a thought.
    Blessings,
    Linda<><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, I keep meaning to do more updates on her and just don't.

    ReplyDelete