Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Weekly update for week of 11/14

I am a little behind in writing this.  It will actually be 2 weeks worth of updates.  I went out of town for 3 days the week of 11/7 and my dh took off and schooled the kids.  Without HOD I don't think he would have been able to do that, but the guide makes it very easy for this to happen.  My dh schooled N. for a few subjects last year and was pleased to see the progress he has made, especially in the oral and written narration area.  He also helped him finish the final draft of his Vikings report for IEW and was very impressed with that.
The project for that week was Chinese Egg noodles.  N. really enjoyed making these, but I will say I think we made them too thick and then we didn't cook them long enough so they were a little tough.
His project for the next week was to make a game so he could see how fast the Black Death spread.  This was a great way to bring this home without dwelling on the gory details of the Pestilence.  He also saw how he would get infected much faster if he was traveling by sea instead of by land.  He couldn't quite figure out why this would be so we had a good discussion about how crowded boats and seaports would be.

He was very excited that he was able to finally draw a Greyhound for Draw and Write Through History.  We have a Greyhound so he has been looking forward to that all year.  He also drew a Falcon.
He continues with Rod and Staff Grammar and is doing well with it.  He has had a few lessons on Poetry lately and he likes those.  CLE math continues to go well also.  He is now learning the Distributive Property as a starting point for Algebra.  I like how CLE gently introduces this and then builds on it.

Overall he continues to make steady progress in all areas.  He has really enjoyed this time period in history. In fact he wants Knights and Castles Legos for Christmas.  I hated history in school so I love that he really enjoys it.



1 comment:

  1. Hello, I'm stopping by from the heart of dakota message board. We're using Creation to Christ this year with all my kids. Love it! I add in a bit and simplify since my kdis are different ages.
    Fun to see how well it's going for you.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete