Saturday, October 23, 2010

Weekly update for the week of 10/18/2010

This week just seemed to fly by. It is hard to believe that October is almost done. In Poetry Noah finished memorizing "Fireflies in the Garden" by Robert Frost and presented it to his dad. He did a great job. Both kids are excited to get back to painting next week. In Language Arts Rod and Staff continues to go well. He continues to work through the dictation passages and I am noticing that it is helping his spelling. Now if he spells something wrong he often will catch it by looking at it.

In Math he moved into multiplying fractions by canceling out numerators and denominators and also how to multiply decimals and make sure that he has the correct placement for the decimal sign. He still seems to like the CLE math and lessons I think are going to be tough for him he does well on. He still says his favorite lessons are the ones that are geometry based. He likes angles and quadrilaterals. Must be like his daddy.

In Science he continued to read about various hoofed animals. He did a science experiment to see why Giraffes have to have high blood pressure. I didn't take pictures because I was being a pair of extra hands, but he sure enjoyed squirting water all over the kitchen as he demonstrated the high blood pressure with a water bottle with a tiny hole in it and a balloon. He was already trying to figure out how he could apply that and build his own water gun.

In Geography we continue to read about Israel. He also looked at a map to see where the 12 tribes of Israel were located. He loved reading about Samson this week in his Bible Quiet time and in History. His history project this week was to make a Philistine helmet. His sister couldn't let that go without making one of her own. She decided that since she is studying American History that hers was a Native American headdress. I loved hearing them laugh and giggle together as they worked. That is something that never happened when she was in school and he was home.



In Storytime we are reading Jashub's journal. Noah is enjoying this book and likes to see how Jashub will interpet the law to make rulings for the people.

I have to admit that I wasn't super excited about studying Ancient History, but with CTC and all the living books and projects it is very interesting and enjoyable.

1 comment: